As you are undoubtedly aware, the Fair Work Legislation Amendment (Secure Jobs, Better Pay) Act was passed in 2022, promising a boost to wages and the closing of the gender pay gap with a myriad of changes to be rolled out during 2023.
Business 360 newsletter articles at the end of 2022 HR News – Business 360 Pty Ltd (business360pps.com.au), unpacked a number of the changes already in place or due for upcoming implementation, including:
- Prohibition of pay secrecy in employment contracts
- Limitations on the use of fixed-term contracts
- Paid Family and Domestic Violence Leave
- Changes to flexible working arrangements
- Changes to bargaining and enterprise agreements and a simplified BOOT (Better Off Overall Test)
It was also a landmark year for employees challenging their employers through contact with the Fair Work Ombudsman and Fair Work Commission. Take a look at these statistics:
Of the applications lodged with Fair Work, a whopping:
- 70,000 plus employees made underpayment of wages claims
- $150 Million in back payments Fair Work investigations recovered
- Record fines for Businesses & Directors
- 13,096 employees lodged unfair dismissal claims
- 5,010 employees lodged cases of dismissal involving a general protection
- 1,874 employees lodged cases for sexual harassment
- 631 employees lodged cases to stop bullying
NOW is the time to get your HR practices in order, with applications and claims set to increase significantly as the new Secure Jobs, Better Pay Act provides even more protection for employees.
Ask yourself whether your business is on track to adopting the new requirements. For example:
- Have you reviewed pay rates, classifications and award changes?
- Have you updated your employment contracts and policies?
- Has your payroll system been updated to provide for paid family and domestic violence leave?
- Have you ceased advertising pay rates in your job advertisements that are below modern award rates?
- Have you considered how you will manage flexible work requests?
- Have you thought about how you can respond directly to employees when they find out a team mate is being paid more than they are?
Need help getting your HR practices in order? Business 360 can assist you in answering all the above questions.
Business 360 can conduct a compliance check of your current HR practices, including salary and wage practices, create or update your policies and educate your team, giving you peace of mind if a Fair Work claim is made against your business. You’ll be off to a good start in defending the claim.